Our formulation was originally developed by FunScreen founder Phillipa (Pip) Evans for her son Kade’s super sensitive skin.
Pip’s determined approach and background in pharmaceutical research enabled her to work with a manufacturer for over a year to create a special product for Kade that he wouldn’t react to. It worked!
The result was a powerfully protective, gentle product free from some of the most harmful chemicals commonly used in sunscreen. We feel it’s the safest mix of ingredients you could hope to find in a UVA & UVB absorber sunscreen – plus high SPF, excellent water resistance, and a great non-greasy texture.
... And none of the bad.
Funscreen does not contain:
- Oxybenzone – a known endocrine disruptor that can adversely affect reproductive organs in females.
- Nanoparticles – and any nanoparticle metal oxides that may be absorbed into the bloodstream and cause free radicals.
- Parabens – can cause irritation, are implicated in breast cancer, and may adversely affect the reproductive system in males.
- PABAs – controversial active ingredient because after absorbing UVB rays, may produce indirect DNA damage.
FunScreen contains all the good stuff...
The premise of our mission was to create a fun product for kids that works in the real world.
We set out to design a formula that was difficult to rub, wash or sweat off (like physical zinc oxide and titanium dioxide blockers), wasn’t thick or gluggy, and could be applied from an easy-to-use roll on bottle.
An organic chemical sunscreen filter (UVA & UVB absorber) allowed us to achieve all of this.
Why choose our formula?
What’s the motivation for working so hard on this formulation?
- We’ve got precious kids of our own (with super sensitive skin!
- We’ve had our own close encounters with melanoma
- We’re proud to lead positive change within our communities
- We want to create healthy lifelong sun-safety habits for the next generation
- We want to share some of the fun!